Skip to main content

27:18 'The White Room'


“How are you?”
For those who may attempt to be courageous and compassionate enough to ask this good question, allow me to give you fair warning, you may want to brace yourself to carry a burden. The answers from the people you ask may include the following, 
“I am tired…”
“I am sad….”
“I am angry at God …”
“I am giving up…”
“I am worried…”
“I feel hopeless…”
“I feel alone… “
“I feel like I am losing my mind …”
A lot is going on at the moment. And while it is easy to push each other to praise despite our feelings, as I did in my previous blog, I am aware of the reality that sometimes good words spoken in tough times can be more toxic than healing. We may expect people to brave out this pandemic and quite a number may be. However, while hope is said to be a working strategy, on the day when the crack hits bottom, breaking is a strategy too.
“How are you?”
We ask this question pretty flippantly these days, with an expected “I’m fine”, or “I’m good” to conclude the sentence. I wonder though, what would be the response to this question, “How are you really doing?” Or if I am to put more emphasis, I would ask, “How are you doing on the inside?” The lies may begin to die making room for the truth to arise. In that moment, you may witness the beginning or resumption of a journey that entails shovelling one’s way out of sadness, trouble or pain that may have buried them alive. Like the friction between sticks to create fire, our true emotions begin to leak. And a warm blooded creature in a white room is about to splash the walls with a whole lot of venom.
Image from artist.com; painting by Irini Karpikioti

I believe it is important that each of us master a little more patience with people. Respect the other person’s experiences by giving them time to unravel their own way. Bearing one another’s burdens requires that we give each other permission to spill out the bad and the downright ugly. Allow people to express imperfection without condemnation. It was not supposed to come out perfectly for it to be accepted.
There is a love language that allows one to bear another’s agony without castigation. A love language called ‘listening’. It entails coming alongside those who may be at their worst, reminding them that “The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles” (Psalm 34:17). Psalm 18:6 puts it so well, “In my distress I called to the Lord, I cried to my God for help. From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came before Him into his ears.” It is clear that God allows us to experience our feelings, both the good ones and the not so good. In case you feel as though you need to downplay your reality, I am here to tell you that you are allowed to feel both the joys and the pains of your season. God allows it, and He can handle it. And to those who encounter such people, allow them, with a non-judgmental patience. Let them paint their white rooms with the imperfections that give God a platform to not only hear, but deliver us.
The season at hand is a sensitive one. Let us not dehumanize those around us that may be going through this pandemic with a mixture of doubt, fear, anger, sadness and every other possible emotion that could be triggered. It is in seasons such as this that the magnificence of God’s love can be shown through us, if we are willing to see His people through His eyes. All this, as we still maintain the strategy of hope, that one day the hurting, broken, confused, the tired, will be able to stretch their bones and widen their smiles again.
©namwano

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc