Skip to main content

27:13 'WHY BOTHER?'



There is something about care that makes a difference. Something about paying attention to the little things and having a genuine interest, particularly in people, that makes this world somewhat bearable. Genuine interest is an act that can only be tried and tested to be true by those that know you on a soul level. It is something actively shown, not something merely said.
There is a famous quote by one John Done that states, “No man is an island”. It is an expression used to explain that self-sufficiency doesn't quite cut it for any human in life. That everybody needs somebody. That everybody needs community in order to thrive. American actor Ron Cephas Jones, in his role as William, in the hit series ‘This is Us’ mentioned a rather profound statement about community. He says, “Community, it’s a strange word on its own, a word not as warm as family. But that’s okay because we have each other. We have this place, and that’s not nothing, that’s not nothing at all.”
Community on the ground is a gift not many are accorded yet have a deep longing for. We have an ache to feel loved and cared for more so at our worst. Though we may refrain from vocally articulating it and inwardly accepting it, at our most vulnerable core is the desire to have people that will walk with us, hand in hand, side by side through the good, the bad and the downright ugly. But perhaps the issue is not the need, but how we go about meeting the need, given that all of us, one way or another, is searching for acceptance, companionship or belonging.
There is an ideology that I believe needs to be clarified when it comes to building and engaging in community. The idea that our plights can or will be solved only through private interactions with God is a fallacy. It is not to say that taking time out to seek the face of God is unnecessary. The word of God actually compels us in Ephesians 6:18 to “Pray at all times and with all kinds of prayers.” But equally as important is the aspect of accountability from a cloud of witnesses to God’s provision and His mighty work. As is mentioned in the Message version that we ought to “stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ’s law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.” (Galatians 6:1-3)

Caring for one another means taking note of what could be better. It means taking note of what could become out of what is. The starting point however is a choice, and that choice is love. Love as a motivation is a reminder of who the other person is before walking with them to become it. Seeking out the good often makes room for one to become better and eventually creates the path to being the best or among them. To some, life is somehow endlessly delicious. They have mastered the art of creating lemonade with the lemons life has served them. Though for others, it may require a selfless version of yourself. An attitude that cultivates generosity without expecting it back.
But without community character cannot be built. And though we may want to be on our own when the world caves us in, we ought to give ourselves permission to be surrounded and upheld by people that will not be quiet when they know we can be better. It is learning to be and surround yourself with a tribe that balances between being firm but tender, patient yet pushing you forward. Within your tribe should be the space to use the most ordinary tools such as calling, listening and sometimes visiting to rescue those you care for from a deadly downward spiral. Community provides feedback. They are our eyes when we cannot see. Our hands and feet when we are too feeble to face the world. 
So why bother? In order for us to thrive in community, it is for us, to be practical by participating in the miracle we desire through interacting openly in the circles we are in. It will require us to intentionally surround ourselves with one or two people that have gone before us and are where we would want to be. This may mean allowing people to call out the wrong in your life when it’s visible. It will also require us to be proactive with that which we have. We need to cultivate an attitude of believing that we are enough, and that what God has accorded to us is resourceful. Analyse what you have, remembering, nothing you own is inconsequential. You have time? Create time to make a call, or visit a friend. You have food? Invite people over for a cup of tea or a meal, or take them out. Share even from the little that you have. Inquire of people’s well being beyond the ordinary hello, and seek to genuinely care once you find out how they are really doing. 
Many are the hearts that are throbbing healthily today, but what do they beat for? Do they coldly beat for profitable opportunities or are they the selfless type that seek to go the extra mile to make some corners of the world a little less burdensome? Who do you care about and for today? Someone that’s been on your mind lately? Take the time to let them know, show them that you do care about them. 
In a world where everyone could care less, be the one that chooses to care more.

© namwano



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc