Skip to main content

PEACE BY PIECE


A moment of peace and quiet seems hard to come by these days. Sleep has failed to honour many of us with its presence. Life can be messy for what seems like an unending period of time. But the other thing about it, is that it cannot and never will be linear. It is complex; complicated-and the strangest thing is there is beauty in that complicated state. You cannot really separate it in black and white, but you can recreate it into various shades of grey.

But what about that pause? The pause you create because you are afraid; the pause you create because you are too worn out and tired; the pause you create when you’re trying not to cry and the tears are blurring your vision; the pause you create when you’re tormented by the lie that you are invisible- a movie playing in an empty theatre. It can be a daunting pause that endures horribly. 

However, a solitary pause isn’t so bad. It teaches you the art of loving yourself so that you don’t have to use other people as coping mechanisms. You learn to take charge of your chaos by asking God to be your Prince of Peace. I find it interesting how society praises servanthood more than it does loving yourself. Loving yourself is considered self indulgence rather than looked at as self preservation. You need a well-loved me to love you.

The whole point of being a legacy is not for us to stand on strength proved by awards, accolades and accumulations but by leaving imprints in the parts of people that are similar to ours-our hearts. Anything that has no heart is destructive. Words without heart can kill. Praise without heart is noise. Presence without heart is like living in a morgue- only this time you exist with the walking dead. A mind without heart is slavery to fleeting emotions. You've heard the phrase “Put your heart into it.” I think many of us fear doing so because we innately hear “Put yourself into it.” Put all of you into it. It’s an exercise, if you ask me. And not many of us are fond of it, why? Because exercise requires …… you guessed it, ALL OF YOU!  You are expensive; or let me say it this way, you are valuable. Most of that value will gain interest only by you taking care of your heart-which really means, taking care of yourself. 

Perhaps that is why we are cautioned to guard our hearts, because everything we do (life) flows from it (Prov.4:23) Happiness, sadness, joy, frustration…all of them come from within; and you know why? Because sometimes life is simply doing what life does. It’s tossing you around from a praise break to a knee bruising prayer; from seasons of victory to seasons of discouragement. From laughing and feeling unafraid to sobbing and feeling unseen… that’s just what life does; it happens-and it doesn’t make it good or bad, it’s just life as it is; it is what it is.

So this is the charge for both you and I; your stability is dependent on your ability to manage your inconsistencies. Victories aren’t won every day, and while figuring this life out, you may have to allow the peace that you long for to settle piece by piece. Sometimes we expect that peace will come like an immediate mighty rushing wind, and sometimes it does. But sometimes peace will come to you drop by drop and maybe we need to learn to recognise these moments as we go about life. 

The drops matter, so that really when you can utter that your heart is full, you know damn well what you’re made of; the full four seasons of the year and not just the summer.


“I pray you prosper, and be in good health; just as your soul does prosper.” (3 John 1:2).










Comments

  1. Beautiful.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing reads, always something to look forward to for sure.congratulations girl keep giving us this affirmations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaks to thy soul and with all going on is the message of truth. I loved it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum