Skip to main content

DEAD, YET STILL ALIVE

Image Courtesy of gettyimages.co.uk

The invisibility of my sin to the human eye doesn’t make me a saint.

Being born and bred in a Christian home does not automatically have a preacher’s kid operate as holier than anyone else is; you know like scripture quoting, tongue speaking and may be (just maybe) demon chasing. We do not exist in a sin free bubble. Allow me to let you in on the reality that just like you, our battle with sin is constant. Probably even worse for us because the enemy is not impressed with one big happy Christian family.

I will speak for myself and maybe a few more who may read this and identify with the struggle. Over time we simply create schemes to deal with our fallen nature if not feed the sin.
For instance many at times, given that majority expect me to uphold the virtues of Christianity, if for one reason or the other I find myself in sin, or in a continuous cycle of engaging in it, I may bury it rather than confess it. I mean what people don’t know won’t hurt them right?

Other times, I will choose to justify it; rationalizing why I lied, why I was jealous, or why I got angry and bitter and did not forgive my friend for offending me so badly and not seeing the need to apologize. Oh and did I mention I sometimes have a big mouth? I and my big mouth may at times have exclusive data to spread while catching up on week’s gossip with the girlfriends. (God is working on me, so handle with grace ok?)

I think I am more inclined to comparison though. Sometimes because of my insecurity, other times because of my pride. I mean there are those “that have committed greater sins than I will in my lifetime. For real, could we just take a minute and thank God for my current ‘not-so-deadly’ lifestyle? I could be on the list of the most wanted criminals for being a murderer on the loose out to revenge on all my enemies. But all I did was say a white lie. All I did was ‘justifiably’ speak my mind because she/he had to know how I really feel.”

But here is the reality; MY SIN IS FULL OF LIFE. I try hard to contain and manage it rather than dispose it. And because I do not acknowledge the grace of God for what it really is, I dismiss it.
It doesn’t matter what you try or invent to camouflage a sin. The only response to it that can ever fully and completely erase it is what author and motivational speaker Sharon Jaynes calls “unadulterated repentance.” Where you humble yourself before God and bare the truth of the sin that you have committed. To repent simply means to turn around from. This turning around is possible but the task comes in living and walking continually in the ways of God. It’s one thing to be restored; it is another thing to stay on the path that you have been restored to. 

Running from sin is a choice. Still, too many times we put in more effort negotiating to attempt the sin rather than doing things as per the word. We flirt with ideas rather than turn and run. There’s this self-confidence we possess that make us believe we can handle sin and so we take ourselves knowingly to it or keep it company on the side line. That my dear friend is a free pass for the enemy to fulfill His agenda, “to steal, kill and destroy.” 
 
Image Courtesy of Fine Art Photography
If you dare the enemy you may be destroyed even before you’re abducted.

Do not put yourself in a situation that gives the opportunity to flirt with sin or places that make it easier to sin. Do not provide extra ammunition for the enemy.
My revelations and lessons of late are as follows;
Neutrality in Christianity is foolish and more so dangerous for believer. You’re either renewed or consumed; both can’t take place at the same time. So immunize your heart mind, body and soul-RUN! Admit you are lost and helpless without God. (John 15:5) But remember, God’s love is unconditional and His forgiveness is endless.
Know when to pray and when to flee. Some of us expect to be filled with some miraculous super power that will automatically be infused in us to overcome a temptation. Flee then pray afterwards, for renewal of strength to overcome once again.
When you know better you do better; know the scriptures.
Rationalization and comparison are patterns that can eventually change once you know and practice the word. The word penetrates right through to your heart and once your heart is changed, it influences your habits. Your habits then reflect on your lifestyle. And your lifestyle ultimately draws others to Jesus, right where they ought to be-with Him.

1 Cor. 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you expect what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”

See your actions through the lens of Christ with no pretense. I may not boldly flaunt my sins on my sleeve, but the truth is that the active work of the Holy Spirit will not give me peace until I admit my sin exists. Pretense before God is like standing trying to hide a candle with your palms. With time, you feel the heat and you have no choice but to distance yourself or get burnt. Be honest. Hiding sin simply leads to more sin. But if you are out to regain your peace, then repentance is always the way out-not concealment. Wouldn’t you want a stop to the mind games? I know I do.
 
There are many instances, in my struggle to jot down the epistles of my life that I wish I could write from a place of perfection- but I can’t. I know all too well the incessant combat between the flesh walk and the faith walk. However familiar I am on how to do the faith walk, disappointingly, I still choose time and again to continue in my fleshy walk.

Still, I aspire to excellence. Excellence in my words, deeds, thoughts and lifestyle. Daily I am reminded that though absent in the flesh, Jesus Christ has left with us a helper-the Holy Spirit (John 14:16; 14:26). Every minute of every day I admit, I need help to do life the godly way. I may have been equipped for it, but I need help to actively do it well. This requires an invitation for the Holy Spirit, to dwell within. His presence brings about an alert mind and an engaged heart to the promptings that lead to life and life in abundance. 

Join me therefore in asking God for the courage to resist sin, the swiftness to flee from it and the empowerment to walk in step with the spirit and thus not gratify to the raging desires of yours and my flesh. 


©namwano


Comments

  1. Such a challenging piece there.
    God bless you as you keep being a vessel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. To God be the Glory!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc