Skip to main content

FROM THE COMFORT ZONE TO WHERE LIFE REALLY HAPPENS (OUTSIDE IT)



Image courtesy of www.loc.gov

A question was asked to me a couple of weeks ago, phrased in this way…  “What things do you see in your personal life where you might be resisting change?” (Think about this for some time before proceeding to read and hold on to your answer)

Frustration tends to build up when things do not go as expected. Change is something each of us responds to differently. There are those who see it as an adventure. Their adrenaline shoots up at the thought of experiencing something or somewhere new. Others like myself take time to embrace it, calculating every single step as we move along. We like to know the details of where we are, what we ought to do, and better still what the future will hold. We dwell mostly in the questioning quarters than boarding the bus headed to “new”. 

The word “new” scares us. We’d rather be comfortable with what we know, than be put in a place that expects us to figure things out on our own; and if it takes us being on our own, then so be it. We are known to survive! And it is normal…
But mark this, not everything ‘normal’ is designed to keep you safe. Not everything ‘normal’ is designed to keep you established. Not everything ‘normal’ is designed to sustain you. Not everything ‘normal’ is designed to bring out the best from you. Our minds are programmed to having things happen a certain way- and when they don’t we go into a state of frenzy and some sadly give up without a second thought of persevering, and pushing through until they get to their destination. 

I, for one had become very sullen over the past few weeks which led to me giving excuses as to why I was not or did not want to be actively around people. I had my own “to do” list and had figured that I’d have to make ends meet come rain, come sunshine- from finishing school in three years, to getting a job, to doing a masters, write a book etc. Each of these had deadlines on them, but as you go along, life can sometimes take you ten steps back when you had progressively made five ahead (and it is very disappointing I  must add)

The truth is this, when the enemy wants to strike you while in disappointment, he does not really do it in a crowd; he convinces you to be isolated. Isolation comes from comparison of one's self to others, which then produces ill feelings about one’s self and eventually a corrupt mind, due to the belief that no good could come out of the season they are in. That is why we have many human beings who walk around hopeless, simply because their minds are so absorbed on their issues that they forget to look inward on He who is greater. 

P.T. Forsyth says it best in this way, that “Unless there is within us that which is above us, we will soon yield to that which is about us”.

You see the devil, he works; but my declaration as God's child should be that “I know a man named Jesus, who is the author and the finisher of my faith” (Heb. 12:2).

Nevertheless as I trust Him concerning the changes in my life (or none currently happening), I have a responsibility to live out a life worthy of the calling. This does not necessarily mean I should preach the gospel Sunday to Sunday, but it as a simple as reflecting Christ in the lifestyle that I live each day. To ‘reflect’ according to the free dictionary means, to make apparent; express or manifest. That is to say that when people notice you, they should notice Christ and experience Him through you. Philippians 2:5 in the New Century Version puts it this way, “In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus.”

Develop an attitude of gratitude for the simple things such as life, family, friends, good health, parents that care and support you, a creative mind just to mention a few (We have SO MUCH to thank God for). Making the most of each opportunity and fostering a culture of creating rather than waiting for opportunity is an attitude many need to adapt. It takes one to examine what God has given them to be motivated to seek out where they can be of use not only in the market place but in the furtherance of God’s kingdom.
 
Illustration by Clifford Happer
Growth requires change and it is that very change that scares me greatly, however these words of wisdom by a friend were used to somewhat bring peace to my troubled heart and challenge me to move from where I was literally lounging; “there’s no growth in the comfort zone and there’s no comfort in growth”. When God wants you to grow He makes you uncomfortable.” 
A smooth sail never made a great sailor. It is the resistance through every oncoming storm that brought out a different kind of energy, an active mind, prayerful soul and a daring spirit whilst sailing to an intended destination. Sometimes we get so used to having things happen a particular way, using specific methods, through specific people at specific times. And when the norm is broken, we become clueless on the way forward. We panic, we fear, we withdraw to try and find possible solutions (which can only be found outside the comfort zone). I’m saying this because I’m facing the same reality of having to get up, step out and move forward.
 
We have a whole world around us, each of us given the same amount of time in a day, to put into use the gifts, skills and talents that we have in the places that we are in (whether we do or do not have jobs… at the very least, we have minds, so get creative!). The thing is this though, you never plan to reach a destination and expect it to come to you. You plan for a destination and step out to create a path that leads to it; not just for you, but for the possible generation that is to come after you.

Do not get comfortable being comfortable; get comfortable being uncomfortable- for in that season lies a greater strength, a chance to not only apply but acquire more knowledge and wisdom. It is a time to apply your faith, it is your time to soar far beyond your limited mindset, it is the best time to experience the character of God for yourself and develop a testimony that could be maintained as a legacy for you who is an ambassador of the kingdom of God.

Finally I leave you with these words that my dear mum said to me as a wake-up call;
“Sometimes, life is not always 1+1=2.
Sometimes, life will be 1+1=0.
Life doesn’t always give you an automatic expected result. You may work hard, but still life produces more lemons.
Don’t throw them away, pick each of them and make yourself some lemonade.
And don’t forget to share with one or two people.”

Embrace the change, and make the most out of it with the much that you have received from God to gain from it!

Comments

  1. "Develop an attitude of gratitude for the simple things such as life, family, friends, good health, parents that care and support you, a creative mind just to mention a few (We have SO MUCH to thank God for)." That is the most beautiful thing I have learned in life. Being thankful for small things, and you realize there is alot more to be grateful for. Even existence. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well there is room for alot of growing up but on the the lemons and lemonade i can do that but no one evr speaks about the sugar; if u get my meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Did you just inject some new level of energy in my sails? Thanks Namwano for allowing your heart to speak to your "pen" so that a generation wallowing in the "Normal" can awaken to the joy of embracing the "Extraordinary" (I have been stirred up, challenged and revived). Love you daughter.
    Blessings
    Rev. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Hebrew12:2, it speaks volume and the fact that we need to assess what God has placed in us so that we can be creative is true... Timely blog... Thx nash

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mums quote 1+1=0,,,I understand exactly what you are talking about...Sometimes its not easy to understand why this change is happening until after growth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I call it inertia, those times when I've stalled, probably not even comfortable there, but unwilling to move because it takes effort and uncertainty. Truly the sluggard says there's a lion in the streets. More of these, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow babygirl,really spoke to me.Time to get uncomfortable.Thanks love.God bless

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is soo cool Namwano. I agree with every bit of it. Not being comfortable when things are comfortable because you never grow in your comfort zone! Good job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes, life is not always 1+1=2.

    Sometimes, life will be 1+1=0.

    Life doesn’t always give you an automatic expected result.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Do not get comfortable being comfortable; get comfortable being uncomfortable- for in that season lies a greater strength, a chance to not only apply but acquire more knowledge and wisdom. It is a time to apply your faith, it is your time to soar far beyond your limited mindset, it is the best time to experience the character of God for yourself and develop a testimony that could be maintained as a legacy for you who is an ambassador of the kingdom of God."
    This paragraph speaks to me ... story of my life in summary. However, I find joy in the fact that He who is greater is within me. Trusting and Believing is a journey as well as learning to let go and let God take the wheel.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Insightful. Each one of us has got a life 'to do list' I want to achieve this by the time am 30 or after this years. Then when we don't get there we get so frustrated. The frustration heightens when we conpare ourselves with our capable friends. We forget God has designed our paths in a different way. The destination may look the same ( A thriving career, husband, kids, house) but how and when we get there, is a different experience for everyone. Life has taught me to stop comparing myslef with my others. The Message Proverbs 8:12-21 "I am Lady Wisdom, and I live next to Sanity; Knowledge and Discretion live just down the street. The Fear-of-God means hating Evil, whose ways I hate with a passion— pride and arrogance and crooked talk. Good counsel and common sense are my characteristics; I am both Insight and the Virtue to live it out. With my help, leaders rule, and lawmakers legislate fairly; With my help, governors govern, along with all in legitimate authority. I love those who love me; those who look for me find me. Wealth and Glory accompany me— also substantial Honor and a Good Name. My benefits are worth more than a big salary, even a very big salary; the returns on me exceed any imaginable bonus. You can find me on Righteous Road—that's where I walk— at the intersection of Justice Avenue, Handing out life to those who love me, filling their arms with life—armloads of life! My resolution this year is to respect myself enough to know that I am unique and so is my path to where the Lord is taking me. And to give myself a break once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc