Skip to main content

DEAD DIGNITY

Image by: Man de Man Photography
 
I sing a lonely song to the moonlight
The only closest company I may ever have tonight
I hum to the echoes of the winds that blow
Composing a symphony only I will ever know,
Or will anybody else hear it?
Give me the chance to obtain my biggest profit
A currency paid in form of a listening ear
If ever I have the capability to renounce this great fear
 
I am just a girl,
A girl yearning to be free
Mine me out from societal detriments, and simply let me be
The girl that I know I want to see
Will never be so until you let me be
 
Papa, Oh Papa
If the moon is to turn over to face the day
How I wish I’d have a road map to guide as I run away
Away from the shackles of an undesired earthly eternity
To please a society that makes merry from impunity
My hands and feet you view as currency
You glare at the sight of apples dangling down a tree
Ripe and sweet for your remedy
Punishing me to be lower than a slave
At the expense of my only choice, that God gave
 
Mama, oh mama
You are a woman like me
Out of his bone and flesh, your unity bore me
But I wonder, oh Mama, while you sip your tea
While you huff and puff your anger like the raging sea
While you watch my walk
While you teach me how to talk
While you effortlessly chatter away with devious maids
Reminiscing on the ransom you freely paid
I wonder,
Would my pain make you shutter, or pierce like a blade?
Or would you suppress your guilt, celebrating societal upgrade?
 
I’m not grown up Mama, though I have to do so now
Stripped of my valid dreams Papa, I give in to a senseless vow
 
There’s a flower that blooms from within my soul
A burning flame that seeks to light the world as a whole
The city never sleeps, neither do I
My mind rants like volcanic activity, I hardly shut an eye
Lest I miss a glimpse of hope that could come my way
To awaken my dead dignity, buried everyday
 
I see that girl, that girl I know I can be
Beautiful, fully grown and ultimately free
Mama, Papa, you too could also see
If only you’d awaken my dead dignity... just let me be
Free! Free!
Awake, alive and free!
©namwano

 

This is a piece written to cause awareness and fight against the menace of Early Marriages. Every girl child does have a right to a normal growth pattern. Stripping one of them of their dreams and ambitions by marrying them off early does in no way bring any development in society. Join the fight against early marriages- be a voice for the voiceless, as loud as can be, for there’s someone who needs you in order to be free!

Comments

  1. I see you chose to go the poetry way :-) Nice, Sharleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Testing the waters if I may call it that.... thank you so much

      Delete
  2. Niiiiicceee... I like that you are writing for a bigger cause

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally something I can critique.
    This is actually good. A proper poem. With all the ingredients. Nice to see a cause on there as well. Try wielding your poetic license more. But this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice way to put it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it again!!!! Beautiful, intense stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Piece. Deep in content and richness in the vocab.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

27:7 'DEFINITION'

One of the greatest tragedies is going through life with someone for a lengthy period of time, only to be told, at the quest for clarity on who you are, that you were only but… a friend. Ouch! I have been there, on a few occasions actually (story for another day) and to be honest, it broke me more than the first time, every time. But one thing I have learned is to take responsibility for my part of the ended waltz because it always takes two to tango. Responsibility for me means taking time out to evaluate my part in the problem and see how to rectify my attitude and behavior. I can’t say I learn my lesson well, sometimes I trip over, but I’m here to speak of improvements not perfection. Life has taught me the importance of ‘definition,’ the necessity of defining things the moment they come into being. It could be a friendship, a relationship, a business plan, anything… you are required to define it from the start. A little research would reveal that the word ‘definition