Skip to main content

DEAD DIGNITY

Image by: Man de Man Photography
 
I sing a lonely song to the moonlight
The only closest company I may ever have tonight
I hum to the echoes of the winds that blow
Composing a symphony only I will ever know,
Or will anybody else hear it?
Give me the chance to obtain my biggest profit
A currency paid in form of a listening ear
If ever I have the capability to renounce this great fear
 
I am just a girl,
A girl yearning to be free
Mine me out from societal detriments, and simply let me be
The girl that I know I want to see
Will never be so until you let me be
 
Papa, Oh Papa
If the moon is to turn over to face the day
How I wish I’d have a road map to guide as I run away
Away from the shackles of an undesired earthly eternity
To please a society that makes merry from impunity
My hands and feet you view as currency
You glare at the sight of apples dangling down a tree
Ripe and sweet for your remedy
Punishing me to be lower than a slave
At the expense of my only choice, that God gave
 
Mama, oh mama
You are a woman like me
Out of his bone and flesh, your unity bore me
But I wonder, oh Mama, while you sip your tea
While you huff and puff your anger like the raging sea
While you watch my walk
While you teach me how to talk
While you effortlessly chatter away with devious maids
Reminiscing on the ransom you freely paid
I wonder,
Would my pain make you shutter, or pierce like a blade?
Or would you suppress your guilt, celebrating societal upgrade?
 
I’m not grown up Mama, though I have to do so now
Stripped of my valid dreams Papa, I give in to a senseless vow
 
There’s a flower that blooms from within my soul
A burning flame that seeks to light the world as a whole
The city never sleeps, neither do I
My mind rants like volcanic activity, I hardly shut an eye
Lest I miss a glimpse of hope that could come my way
To awaken my dead dignity, buried everyday
 
I see that girl, that girl I know I can be
Beautiful, fully grown and ultimately free
Mama, Papa, you too could also see
If only you’d awaken my dead dignity... just let me be
Free! Free!
Awake, alive and free!
©namwano

 

This is a piece written to cause awareness and fight against the menace of Early Marriages. Every girl child does have a right to a normal growth pattern. Stripping one of them of their dreams and ambitions by marrying them off early does in no way bring any development in society. Join the fight against early marriages- be a voice for the voiceless, as loud as can be, for there’s someone who needs you in order to be free!

Comments

  1. I see you chose to go the poetry way :-) Nice, Sharleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Testing the waters if I may call it that.... thank you so much

      Delete
  2. Niiiiicceee... I like that you are writing for a bigger cause

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally something I can critique.
    This is actually good. A proper poem. With all the ingredients. Nice to see a cause on there as well. Try wielding your poetic license more. But this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice way to put it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it again!!!! Beautiful, intense stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Piece. Deep in content and richness in the vocab.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I love...

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly sp...

THE OL' SCHOOL DIVA'S DIARY

THE OL’ SCHOOL DIVA’S DIARY In a world where the trending acts of lust and sex among young people continues to be on the rise, one cannot help but wonder where the gold ol’ morals disappeared to. Our generation sorry to say is quickly becoming immune to the differentiation between ‘black and white’. For some reason, there’s no clear distinction between the two. We live in a world prone to accept shades of grey when it comes to making decisions. A “No” is no longer a clear distinct no… there’s always a maybe or how far can we go without getting into trouble. A “Yes” is no longer a clear yes; it comes with conditions to be fulfilled. Look around you and you will see-we are trying hard to deal with a menace that is spreading fast throughout an entire generation. I remember while in lower primary, I always paid attention to the frequently quoted statement, “You are the chosen generation,” but now years later, I actually wonder, if we really are, and if indeed we are then w...