Skip to main content

TRANSITION BY FAITH!


It’s never the right time to say goodbye. I hate goodbyes; especially when they are for a long period of time. There’s always the feeling that you’re tearing apart or disconnected from a source that brings life to your everyday living. Nothing is ever the same and having to give last hugs and show affection for the last time to the ones you know and love is disheartening.
I had a good life (with all due respect, it pays to be very honest). Life before coming to the mission field was all pure sunshine. I’d bask in the rays of pure happiness. Wake up at the crack of dawn, say my morning prayers and hum noticeably in the shower coz of the glorious day I knew it would be. Whether I had a boring lecture to attend or buddies to meet or simply sit in front of the computer and research on anything captivating… the thing was, I was happy; from the inside out.
Then came the demoralizing news one evening… Dad had been transferred to another church. As a pastor’s kid, I probably got used it and I knew I this time round, I wouldn’t have to move because I had been released to serve elsewhere but not too far. However, that wasn’t the announcement. We were moving, yes… but to another country. WHAT??????????????
“NO WAY!” Was my first reaction, not in an eager manner but a rather adamant one. It wasn’t a request he was making, it was a command. By the look in his eyes, he did not come home to request us to go, but he had already made up his mind on behalf of the other three members of the family. I actually thought that was selfish. “Why can’t we sit down and discuss this matter?”
Yes, we did, but at the end of the day it was like we were fighting a losing battle. Dad had said, and his word was final.
From that day henceforth, my life had changed for good. And the very keen friends noticed I was never myself. (How can you anyway?) Many nights I lay on my bed. The Soft sheets of moonlight had a way to soothe my weary soul. Overwhelmed by emotions, I would try and wonder why this had to happen. It felt more like a punishment and less like a golden opportunity.
I had a reservoir of tears stored in my soul, but most times I couldn’t help but open it and let them flow. I couldn’t pray. Not that I didn’t know how, I just didn’t want to. Though I know God knew my heart. Sometimes you don’t force words out of your mouth; God is God and as understanding as He is, your spirit connected to His enables Him to hear those silent prayers uttered on tear stained pillows.
I didn’t want to go. I simply did not. I know life was hard enough, but the solution dear Lord, was not to throw me right in the middle of the unknown; with no one and nothing familiar. Why couldn’t I just have a little heaven down here where I knew at least I had people to talk to, a shoulder to lean and cry on at whatever time of day or night?
I detested my very own life back then. I was whacked up. No peace, no joy; only a pretending young woman: young and confident, on the outside, full of warmth and acceptance but jam-packed with spells of depression on the inside. I wanted to scream. My mind was spinning, with thoughts flying back and forth. I wouldn’t be surprised if somewhere along the line I rebelled and found comfort at the corner of a bar than in the front pew of a church service. It was too much for me to handle.
As days grew closer, I gave up trying to avoid reality. Stepping into a house full of boxes, with the smell of paint to welcome you into every room made me stop running and simply accept the fact that we were on transit. 27th December 2012 we bored the plane that landed in Bujumbura, Burundi at exactly 0220hrs, Kenyan time.
I am here a month later, alive and well. It is never easy or exciting moving from the known to the unknown. But we must always believe this one thing; God does not send us out alone, He provides help. He sends you out because He believes you can actually handle the task He is laying out for you. The appropriate thing to do is to humble yourself and give yourself in total surrender.
Now if you’re like me who loves to be in control, this is one hard lesson you will have to learn so as to build your character in the best way possible. Jesus has to be the one behind the driver’s sit of your life, not you. Put him, beside you, behind you or in the boot and you are bound not to go far or worse still, crash! Don’t act like a know it all… God doesn’t need you but He chooses you anyway. Now that is humbling.
So after all I said and done, all you can ever do is surrender. I left all I knew for what I don’t know. Though the All-knowing God was and still is holding my hand, leading me every step of the way. As a daughter of the King, the least I should do is worry. The best as I can do is Trust. Have faith. Be still and know He is God (Psalm 46:10). He is God and He changes not.
So I choose to trust. I choose to have faith. I choose to walk by faith and not by sight. I choose to release myself to God, the All-knowing Creator who knows the end from the beginning. I choose to give my all and watch God show up in it and Show off through it. I choose to be happy. To meditate on the good things God has in store for me and everything that concerns me. Life may be different. Change is something you have to get used to as a human being. It’s inevitable. Don’t push it away. Allow it to happen. In the kingdom of God, there’s always change. It may seem like the hardest thing you will ever do but it is unavoidable. Accept it. There’s nothing as bad as not obeying when you are told move. Obey! And move!
Learn to give your all. You may not see the reward at the moment but don’t let that be your motivation. Let what you are getting out of the process motivate you. Change builds you. It makes you grow. It works on you. It develops you and best still… it sets you apart for better things in the days to come.
So if ever you are told to move, whether to your next door neighbor to encourage them or to the ends of the earth to share the gospel…. Obey, and Move. God knows what He is up to. Don’t miss an opportunity to allow Him to show Himself strong through you.
Obey, and Move.

Comments

  1. Awesome piece....very encouraging. I'm blessed. You are a strong woman. Stay that way. The Lord is faithful to the very end & He has put you in that place because he knows you can handle it..
    1 Corinthians 10:13 [The Message (MSG)]

    13 No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the Lord continue to stretch you & use you. Much Love, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sharleen.

    I didn't know you're out of the country. Your maturity is admirable. "You may not see the reward at the moment but don’t let that be your motivation. Let what you are getting out of the process motivate you." Amen! God bless you for this. Jesus Christ is the same God in Bujumbura. He is the same creator of the plain, mountains, valleys, seas and trees in that country. He is with you just as he was with you here in East Africa :-) Will keep in touch. Brilliant piece!

    Ernest

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dearest Sisto.. thanks for that word. It was a great pleasure spending the weekend with you in Bujumbura. I look forward to our return....make sure you know all the cheap places with caramel. I love you ... Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. My take home point is:GOD NEVER LEAVES YOU..wherever we are, whatever we do...He remains God. Thanks daughter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc