Skip to main content

INTIMATE SYMPATHY

Held hands, interlocked fingers
Sealed lips, merged physiques
Breathless moments amidst the mysterious circumstances
I remember… oh yes I do
I remember like it was yesterday
Such reminiscences take a while to fade away
I didn’t like him much, but was forced to love him
By her
She’d have kicked me out if I didn’t
And quite frankly I didn’t mind
I needed a place to unwind

Held hands, interlocked fingers
Sealed lips, merged physiques
Breathless moments a midst mysterious circumstances
I enjoyed each and every one of them
Different people, but the experiences still the same
Nobody knew but me, I guess I was good at my game
Coz all I ever told them besides an imaginary profession, was my name
Dad had walked out on me
Mum regretted the day she ever bore me
I couldn’t tolerate more of this life
Between me and her, there was nothing but strife
I can’t remember the last time dad regarded her as his wife
Maybe in his thoughts (in regret that is) but in public, they never saw eye to eye
I never bothered to ask why
It was none of my business, besides, learning to live as the victim, pierced my heart like a knife

I can’t remember the last time I heard them say, they care for me
And in no time I believed that this was how life was suppose to be
To consider that it would turn out alright someday became silly
I mean being called a failure every day, doesn’t really propel one to think, “I’m pretty”

Well there was no helper in sight
I had fought all I could with all my might
I wished every day that someday I would see the light
But once you get used to the darkness, trust me, you never really mind if it ‘bites’
You love its sting
Painful as it may be, you accept it-plus the tragedy it’s bound to bring
A wounded spirit, a wounded soul
A broken body and guilty conscience as a whole

Held hands, interlocked fingers
Sealed lips, merged physiques
Breathless moments a midst mysterious circumstances

Man #1…tall, dark and handsome
Very laid back, but in secret, great in showing ‘love’ if you wanted some
It didn’t work though, sadly, because, he was on a mission to get me to bed
And boy the things he did, are better left unsaid
I was hurt but brushed it off quickly
I mean, if I wanted a man right here right now, hey, no offense but I’d get one speedily
And I did
Man #2
Unlike man #1, he didn’t have much of the looks; it was his charm that blew me away
Every now and then, he had something nice to say
Whether the sky was blue with the sun, or it rained when grey
There was no point I remember, when this man never made my day
I felt like a queen on a throne
But not until I realized this happened to Jenny, Jane and Julie over his phone
I thought I was the only one
But he made it clear when he stated, “I am out to have fun”
Not with one, but as many as I can”

The pain grew deeper, as I walked out on him
Wondering what exactly swept me off my feet when I met him
Oh well just another hurt break I guess
Back to the cycle of tears and depression… man, I was a mess

But in came man #3
This time I didn’t want any trouble
I ‘took it slow’ (whatever that means)
No dates for a couple of months…just school and a roller-coaster of emotions
Happiness, sadness, bitterness, hatred, depression… I mean I experienced them all
And to hide it all, I go shop for a shoe or two at the mall
Just to make me smile…or if it was really bad, bash my head into a wall
The pain was sweet (believe me) and for some reason, made me walk “tall”
Not for long though, just but for a moment
Then I’d be back to square one, looking for the next pill in my closet

I don’t how he recognized me
But apparently, we knew each other from church (praise the Lord)
Hallelujah, One sober man, I thought
He wouldn’t intend to hurt me would he?
I mean, he is from the church
In fact he would help me out of my misery and bring a halt to my search
For love, peace and happiness and a sense of worth
Coz home, where I came from, had nothing of that nature, to bring forth

I liked him, so much…but somehow, I found a way to control it
I wanted to tell him, how I felt, but I thought, why not just wait a lil’ bit
To my surprise after a service, he sat me down, and poured out his feelings
I gave a blank look, but deep inside, I wanted to jump up to the ceiling
“Yes”, I thought, “Dude what took you so long?”…
We laughed, we cried, walked home hand in hand
We embraced; we smiled, strolled across the beach sand
With a group of young fellas on holiday
I can go on and on, on all we did
I was for him, he was for me
And all that mattered was that-and so I lived my life stress free
Coffee turned lunch- lunch turned dinner- dinner turned candle lit supper…at his house
Did I mention that we did use to have ‘BS’ at his house…mmmhmmm…?
This time, nothing spiritual was bound to happen, and as we all love to say, ‘we had to be real with ourselves’
It felt wrong from the start
At least the little religion I had, convinced me of that fact
Not that much though, coz, we were now inches apart
His eyes were staring right into mine
This feeling of his touch was a sign
GIRL, YOU NEED TO FLEE!!!
I didn’t want to…but I wanted to
He didn’t want to…but he wanted to
And he did, because I let him take all of me

The aftermath wasn’t sweet at all
I felt like I had experienced such a great fall
He all of a sudden, never wanted to see me
Like Amnom to Tamar, he kicked me out
Living me in such a disgraceful state…

Now I am tired
I am sick and tired of this kind of living
Running away from something, to try and gain something to live for
Will I ever find that opened door?
The door that will lead to a love that is genuine
A love that never runs dry
A love that gives me more of assurance and less of asking why
Aren’t I worth loving?
Aren’t I worth caring for?
Doesn’t a girl like me deserve to be loved?
Why am I here? Why should I live?
If there’s no one to love me, what is left of me to give?
Who would take me anyway, now that I am retched?

This is my story, this is my life…
I know it, I live it, and I’m sick of it
Find it in your heart today to have some empathy
Coz there’s nothing worse than obtaining…
Intimate Sympathy!








Comments

  1. Sharleen! Wow! Wow! That's all I can say! Beautifully crafted piece! Take heart there are good men out there. Pursue Christ and all will fall in place, trust me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc