Skip to main content

COULD IT BE?



Remember the agreement I had made with fear? Yes, it was powerful jotting it down; and I was confident that this energizing moment would revolutionize my life for good. Little did I know that just because I had made a pact, did not mean I would automatically be immune to the fear. Yes, fear could not stay, but my reality brought to the surface that from a distance, fear was waiting on me to come back and get as comfortable as it was before. It was cold outside of me, and the thing with fear, is that it is never really settled on the outside, because you can see it. But once it finds its way to the inner most parts of you, then it knows it has won. 

But I have known this kind of space. It is called transition. It is a process that is packed with expectation, anxiety, excitement and sometimes gloom over what you are about to lose- that is transition for you. And because I forced fear to make an exit, I then made room for God and faith to make an entry. He was not just coming in to sight see, but He was working on the inside to bring me out- and out I came! 

The beauty though about this entire process is the conviction that I was never alone. He would be present to instruct, guide and lead on the who, when, where and how of every person I came into contact with. Previously, I would have leaned on my own understanding on how to deal with people and I probably left them worse or worst still took the glory for their success-(P.S. God is a jealous God my friend, don’t push Him.) But now, I had handed over my power to the master friend to teach me this this thing called relationship which essentially required friendship for a start. He had told me that He’d never leave (Deuteronomy 31:6) and I felt it, even as I traversed the streets full of ordinary people that I thought perhaps, God was working on too.

There was no red carpet rolled out for me as I walked into open ‘friend zones’. I didn’t expect one anyway (and do not expect one either), because of my preconceived mentality of people. I had to learn, that sometimes God calls us to walk alone and other times He calls us to step out and reach out to others. Knowing when to do either of the two requires an intimate relationship with Him. Because as you abide with Him, He will show you, even as you are growing together with others, the branches that bear less fruit that will eventually be cut off (John 15). He has his way and timing for pruning. But it is important to know when and with whom He wants to do this with.

Different seasons call for different wisdom from the same God through different people. When you walk with God closely, He may reveal people with whom you will;
1.         Either grow and keep boundaries with, or
2.         Let go of without burning bridges.

The above were lessons I learned, in not so pretty instances. I had already embraced how to love myself, but the command to love my neighbor as I love myself gradually felt like a tall order, because of insecurities that were still too heavy a burden to bare. So out I was in the mix with regular people, doing my best to reach out and at the same time create and build healthy relationships. On the up side I was confident that I would find a few people to create a healthy friendships with. On the downside, fear had been keeping an eye on me, and I wondered why. Why would I still be experiencing fear while scaling up the ladder of friendship? 
 
Could it be that it was not really the fear of people that crippled me, but rather … the fear of myself?

Comments

  1. Thoughtful 🤔🤔🤔

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly expressed. This life is a journey hun. One where we'll have to fight the same battles again, navigate the same waters but in the end, we emerge victorious when we let God, our friend and the best lover of our soul, take our hand.
    Proud of the big steps you've made

    ReplyDelete
  3. "sometimes God calls us to walk alone and other times He calls us to step out and reach out to others"I love that :) . This is a woman speaking. I can't believe you are all grown :) . Hope you are keeping well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc