Skip to main content

YOU CAN'T STAY

 “I decided to take note of patterns because patterns never lie. If I could change my patterns then I could change my life.”
In my previous post, I shared mechanisms I’ve previously used to tolerate sin. The feedback from the post had me dig even deeper and evaluate my lifestyle, my patterns and habits in the light of eternity.

Let me fill you in on the biggest lie I have believed- that I can do life alone!
The thought of appearing or embracing my need for help (even when I desperately need it) makes me cringe. Because I am a woman that would prefer to watch humanity tremble at my roar, envisioning my groaning and presenting my vulnerability is an attack on my manifested confidence-or is it simply pride? Yes, that is it- my pride; this puffed up attitude that I can do it all (bad and good) by myself.
 
God has wired each of us to be dependent on each other. I can prove this to be true, by constantly evaluating what I say to and about myself. The mumbling that has been ongoing for years about the lack of support I get from the people around me was an indication that I had missed God’s way of doing friendships and relationships. Naturally, I am an introvert, but I can be the life of the party if I choose to be (I know some of my friends in my circle who are reading this & conquering more with the life of the party than the cool, calm, petit and collected madam at the corner of a coffee store with her book, her tea and her Lord…haha)

But even in the pursuit of finding who I really am, I avoid being open and transparent about the struggles of my life. I’d rather be silent and isolated because I’ve built an ongoing romance with my own company. Interestingly though, I am constantly seeking out a distraction (s). It could be an event, a person, a feeling-just something that wouldn’t project my need for help, you know? A little bit of noise to keep me floating above the level of survival.


But you know the thing that lies beneath the pride? A whole lot of fear. Yes, I am afraid; not of what I am about to let go of, but the possibility and reality that it will take a lot from me to receive all the good that lies in wait for me. I am afraid of the exposure- yet without it, I cannot lay aside the weights within me. I am afraid of rejection- yet without it, I will never really know, that love, and true love at that, will always protect you & is never unsure. I am afraid of time – yet without it, I will never embrace opportunities to create dreams into reality. I am afraid of the intensity of my flaws – yet without them, the rhythm of my life will be redundant and the essence of my being will be counterfeit.

But I recently made a pact with my fear;
Dear Fear, you can’t stay.
I have believed way to long that I have to fix myself up to present an image for a people whose metre of perfection is constantly being changed. There has been and will continue to be a voice that calls out in my wilderness, pursing me with a reckless love, that I hope I will warmly embrace. If He (God) says I have life in abundance, then surely there must be something in me that I can do, for the rest of my life, to leave the world better than I found it. And I cannot afford to operate in the realms of my fears any longer while missing the opportunity of a lifetime to be of substance with the maker of heaven and earth.
I choose trust over doubt and refuse to talk myself out of becoming a better me. Perfection may be far-fetched but excellence is within reach. I choose to believe that weakness can be learned from too, but experiences shared by others by far prevents a legacy of detrimental cycles.

There’s a lot to miss out in pursuit of godliness-but perhaps you don’t really lose at all, but rather gain that which you need. It could be just one thing, and that is God himself. Once you have Him, He can be and will be everything you need Him to be. I am out to leave certain rhythms and patterns behind in desperate pursuit for what God has for me. But I realize, I cannot do this on my own-nobody can.
Each of us is responsible for reaching out and surrounding ourselves with someone/people that are for them. These people, though regular & far from perfect are the ones who can motivate you, fire you up, encourage you as well as challenge you to be better. They are the cheerleaders whether or not you’re leading in the race. You need people that build you up. People that will feed you not people who will feed on you. Do not be insulted though when people critic your moves. A wise person evaluates criticism and filters what is necessary for them. They also invite rebuke in love, understanding the lifestyle of iron sharpening iron. To develop and grow, you sometimes need to hear raw truths rather than true lies.

There’s an endless struggle in accepting greatness for what it is when weaknesses tend to feel more real. I sometimes get comfortable just being good, yet it is evident that I can be better-actually I can be the best. But it does not change who I am. If anything I absolutely love who I am. It’s true, I have flaws, I have mishaps, I have faults, but I don't reject me, I love me fully. For if I don't love me totally I can't love nobody. It would be good for me though, for us, if you could understand what I have to go through rather than for you to add more to a bleeding wound. Be a light to me that I'd rejoice in its brilliance. Be salt to me so I may heal of my own hurt and pain.
 
I am going to take a chance on you, on us- I’m taking a chance on doing friendship and relationships God’s way; extending love and making room for grace, being open to trust and willing to forgive, being kind and generous while joyful in every season and making time to fellowship so that each of us is continually becoming better and eventually the best we can ever be for God’s glory.

Will you join me? Grow with me, 

Say this to the fear of people that has held you captive… you can’t stay! 

©namwano

Comments

  1. It's a writing that makes me want to ask myself ' why do people embrace the fear of people ?'

    Fear cannot stay!
    Thanks Namwano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece of writing here...
    Let fear slide away!
    Keep it up Nash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will sure join you in this journey .....some good read right there 👏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc