Skip to main content

27:10 'CHECK-IN'

 
Photography by: @kilographyke
I read an interesting quote a while back that stated this; “In 6 months time, you can either be in the same place or a better place. Focus everyday on improving your health, wealth and happiness. It will take time, but you can make it happen.”

As I pondered over the month that has gone by, I decided to do a kind of check-in with myself. Check- ins for me are important, to clarify patterns, habits and behaviors that have either improved and are reflecting a better ‘me’, or have changed and thus exhibited a version of me that has minimal growth. Honestly I can go about thumping my chest about how good I am… but that is not the case today. I think what we perceive as good is humanly relative. But what God says is good, whether or not we accept it as so, is true.
There is something many of us including myself use as a tool to try and make us feel a sense of relief. The statement, “I’m not perfect.” Sometimes though, we misuse it as a weapon to try and defend the pain and damage we inflict on others. Imperfection is not and should not be an excuse for stagnancy and living a life of dangerous cycles. It should be a motivator to get to unlearn the wrong and the bad and if possible cleanse the downright ugly. It is good to let your true self be seen with no guarantee of the outcome. It is even better to evaluate your true self and acknowledge every part of you as it is. It is the best thing to never settle; to never arrive but work at becoming a better version of yourself. Not only in appearance because beauty is fleeting, but in speech, in thought and the habits you engage in.
Photography by: @kilographyke
 A lot of who we are as individuals is dependent on the habits we form in our lifetime. “You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.” (John C. Maxwell) Perhaps our imperfections are present, not to show us how incapable we think we are but to help us see, embrace and take on the challenge of becoming better and among the very best who can be emulated. At such a time as this it is important to recognize that “Nations are waiting on you to get down to work and prayerfully yet consistently live up to your assignment on this earth. Your failure to begin today, does not only affect you. It affects generations.” (Anita Chiama)
The way you live your life is not about you, it is about the legacy attached to it. You get to choose daily, what legacy you will live behind by how you handle your imperfections, either as a tool or as a weapon. Take it this way, if your imperfections were to be erased completely while on earth, wouldn’t you actually become extinct? Because the reality is, we all fall short (Romans 3:23). But our fallen nature makes the essence of grace and mercy be rich and true in our lives. The grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9), and mercies are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23).
However there is more to just receiving grace and mercy. There is truth available to set you free (John 8:32). There’s a given capacity and help through the presence of the Holy Spirit in you to avoid every kind of evil (1 Thessalonians 5:22).  There is the ability to say no to ungodliness (Titus 2:12) and the wisdom that God gives so lavishly to us if we ask for it when in lack (James 1:5). Life was never made to be lived comfortable in our imperfections; we were made to pursue a life greater than them. It may take time, but if your time is used wisely, then you prioritize your betterment by asking this question constantly, “Does this bring me closer to the better man or woman I want to become?”
A new month has dawned on us. One thing I believe is that it is never too late for a fresh start. Neither is it too complicated to retrace your steps and pick up from where you left. God works all things for our good (Romans 8:28). Time you may consider wasted is actually invested in making you who you are today. If you want to be better, “One Day or Day One… you choose.”
I pray the coming month will have a restructuring take place in your life, so that what is to be in the past remains in the past. What God has for you now, will be and come to you; and what He has in store for you, that as promised is great, will be your daily motivation to shed off things, lifestyles, behaviors, patterns and even people that are not worthy of enjoying the benefits that come with becoming a better you. In the words of 1 Thessalonians 5:22-24 (AMP), 
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you through and through [that is, separate you from profane and vulgar things, make you pure and whole and undamaged—consecrated to Him—set apart for His purpose]; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept complete and [be found] blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful and absolutely trustworthy is He who is calling you [to Himself for your salvation], and He will do it [He will fulfill His call by making you holy, guarding you, watching over you, and protecting you as His own].

©namwano








Comments

  1. This is what I needed. Thank you Nash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true and deep Nash. Resonates with a situation I have been going through the past two weeks.Many thanks for the timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it resonated well with you. Many thanks too for the endless support.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum