Skip to main content

FAULT LINES OF ABUNDANCE

I find some prayers in the Bible to be very risky sometimes. There is a scripture that I have over the months of this year come to make as a personal prayer; “Search me Oh God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there be any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)
It may be heartfelt when I say it, but some recognizable pride manages to keep me from dethroning myself and having God take center stage of my life. (Grace is sufficient though, says that little voice that attempts to quiet my soul).
We have come to understand insecurity as an aspect of life intended to warn us that we are vulnerable to some kind of danger. But there is a kind of insecurity that is internal. We are constantly living in fear of things like failure, rejection, inferiority and lonesomeness. It is a state in which our lack of confidence is looming more than our faith. We always feel “small” and “incapable”. But I guess it all boils down to where we place our identity. Insecurity is a reflection of where or in whom you place your trust. This trust has a close tie with the identity you have chosen to possess because of the room you created for them in your life.

But what is Identity?
Identity is simply “an understanding of who we are authentically”. Sometimes identities are taken on and acted out thus contradicting one's essential self. Identity has an origin. Knowing where our identity comes from and being able to articulate it can address so many issues. If it comes from the heart, then it is true. Because as it is said in Proverbs 4:23 that “from it flows the issues of life”, and from it, “the mouth speaks.” (Matthew 6:45)
The thing, person or activity that has our most treasured and irreplaceable gifts such as time and emotion, are more often than not the origin of most of our identities. What are your determinants? What are you chasing after so badly at all costs because of the reward promised? Insecurity makes me withdraw and hide, because inadequacy or failure become more visible to the outside world. I find myself trying so hard to perform and it’s more exhausting. You know those conversations you have with yourself that are toxic to your mind? I call them “ER” conversations. For example, “she’s way better than me. She’s prettier that’s why she got the post. He’s stronger, that is why he’s able to endure so much. They are wealthier that is why they can afford such things”… and all other “er” lies that plague the mind and create a literal “Emergency Room” in need of biblical truth to perform urgent surgery. 
Avoidance as a tactic
The easiest but non effective resort for my insecurity has been avoiding people and places that make me feel insecure. But avoidance is like a pain killer; it deals with the pain temporarily but does not quite cure the real issue.
Insecurity is to be addressed head on. I think God uses it as a toll to gauge the allegiance of our lives. Do we really truly believe Him and what He says about us? Or is there something else on His throne? "Our beliefs are either refined and challenged or exposed."
But rather than viewing it as something to be ashamed, our dwelling in the shelter of the most high should compel us to openly admit, rightfully address and willingly accept our insecurities as invitation for communion with God. He desires our attention and affection, not only in our time of confidence but also in those moments when we are uncertain, in doubt and full of fear.
The Fix
A good friend of mine shared this with me, that "No one knows the extent of a child's dirt than the mother who cleans and clothes him/her." However insecure you may be, God alone who is the giver of worth and value will lovingly embrace and truly affirm you of what He has put in you. It is therefore our responsibility to not only believe what He says, but abide in His presence to continually be reminded of who we are, why we are here, what we should do and what we are worth (John 15:5-8). In Christ we have a peaceful refuge in all that He says concerning any and every area of our lives. When your identity is founded in Christ, you are in the process of becoming your true essential self. 
But lately, I confess that I have failed in completely believing my identity in Christ to be true. While I have believed it partially, I have on several occasions used my own strength and wisdom to gain approval from others so as to feel validated. I fear rejection; it’s debilitating and I have my ‘go to’ where I seek relief from my fears (social media for one can keep you so addicted, but let’s be honest truthfully, for some it is out of a thirst for validation, yes?). 
Nonetheless there is an aspect of grace that reminds us that you do not have to work hard at attaining what you have already received for free. God’s promises and affirmation of who we are guaranteed for life. Whether or not we accept them for what they are, the truth remains that His word, like a mirror, reflects an identity that remains unblemished, acceptable and unchanging. Exactly why we are compelled to “abide in him”, so that our lives produce much fruit that in turn replaces our internal insecurity (Gal. 5:19-23)
Avoidance does not bring freedom. It is a slavery that binds you bit by bit. Admission on the other hand is the first step to freedom. When you accept your current state and call it out as it is, then make room for God to come and do His work. Transformation is better done when we are willing to expose our insecurities, failures and weaknesses.
I am not as bold as I should be, but I look back and realize I am not the same timid and insecure girl I use to be long ago. God has not only challenged my insecurities, He has loved me through them; shining light through every crack to touch lives in simple but magnificent ways; a kind word, a soft touch, an unexpected financial intervention or simply just being there.
Insecurities begin to die when you see those you would envy as evidences of God’s extension of love through you. They may have what you desire but there is always room to be more Christlike. Don’t break the flow of Christ by being insecure. Free yourself by not only admitting your insecurities for what they really are, but also letting God use them to reveal Himself to you and re-establish your identity to gladly be of service to others.


©namwano


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc