Skip to main content

DATING ME Pt.1




I met this girl on the mirror that looked like me. I could not help but notice the way she stared right back at me. I wondered why she was so keen to analyze every aspect and angle she could see! Her eyes sparkled, her stunning smile makes an addition to the stars. Yes, she was stunning. A beauty that captivated most if not all that were with her at the moment.
It was in those few moments that I realized and learned something about life; we may like or dislike what we see in the mirror. If you dislike what you see, don’t blame the mirror. Change the reflection. And that’s exactly what I did. For the first time in a long time, I actually did feel different from the inside out. How did that happen?
I dated me!

Can you remember who you are before the world told you who you should be?
For a long time, I was enamored with the idea of first becoming somebody’s rather than becoming “somebody”. I had an appetite for belonging that was fed by cheap morsels of lies recommended by society. I used to fear being on my own. I got comfortable in the lies with no room for the truth about my God given value and affirmed worth; little did I know, that in my lonesomeness I would get to learn greatly and deeply about myself. I would get to understand that I can be uncompromising yet embracing. 

Each of us has been uniquely created by God for an appointed task that no one else can do. We have an identity that sets us apart from the rest of God’s creation for ordained good works. 1 Peter 2: 9 puts it this way, “But you are a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” It takes a lot of courage to choose to withdraw from a crowd that gave you a false identity and come into solitude that presents to you reality. 

Nevertheless, inevitable exposure to different backgrounds and cultures, mind-sets and beliefs can sometimes cause us to think less of ourselves and get smart at knowing and treating other people better. Comparison gets the best of us, and while we toil so hard to be the next so and so, we waste a grand opportunity to be an original masterpiece. We spark an act of violence against ourselves by seeking for a better version of us, outside ourselves and in other people.

www.aktivamente.it
God works best when there is no interference. He reveals himself when there is no commotion or distraction. He needs your full attention and cooperation to carry out His good plans for your life, in your life and through your life. One of His plans is to reveal to you, your true self. Your true self is not a perfect being, it is a well-known beautiful chaos comprising of both your strengths and weaknesses. This being, called “you”, can actually be a role model to you. But how?

Your being is like a piano; both black and white keys are required to play the melody. But how well do you know how to play the keys of your life?

On various occasion I am known engage myself as a pianist. Too many times, I avoid playing music on the sharps and flats because of this strange belief in a special kind of mastery to be able to play them. But that does not stop me from learning the combination of chords to play the song. I set time aside and learn the keys. I may not get it right at the beginning, but my persistence eventually pays off and I become a master of the keys to the song. Eventually I play the song so well, I suggest to add some creative juices to the piece and it sounds even better.

I believe this analogy brings to mind what it means to ‘date me’ or ‘dating one’s self’. Dating someone is simply getting to know someone better. You get to discover, “What is this person about? What are they made up of?” You explore them in a bid to acquire something or things about them that would otherwise not be known on the surface. Why not turn the tables and take time to know you? Explore who you are. T.D. Jakes says, “Most people are so busy dating other people yet they’ve never dated themselves”.

Ponder over this for a while, if you are to date yourself, would it be fine wining and dining with smooth conversation that is not limited by time, because you are true to who you are? Or would it be a tedious encounter with lots of awkward silences and pauses in a bid to search for 'right answers'?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

27:8 'THE SOUL LEVEL'

  Photo Credits: @KilographyKe at Qontent Studios One thing ‘independence’ teaches you, is how you never want to be alone. I shared this sentiments with a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, after my move out of home. It was supposed to be an exciting period for me, but incidences and circumstances can take a tremendous turn sometimes. Your introspection somewhat feels like an emergency surgery from discovery of ‘internal bleeding.’ That’s how I’ve felt for a while, like I was to be worked on or else I’d lose my mind or eventually myself. And so I wrote to a dear friend who out of the usual did something for me that to date remains priceless. Something that reminded me, why I call a countable few, my friends. It wasn’t almost 10 minutes later, that she rang me. I couldn’t respond because I was held up in a meeting. So when I got home, with a smile managing to form on my face knowing it took a lot of courage to face the day, she called me back. Frankly speaking, I had

MANY QUESTIONS & ONE ANSWER

I’m a few years into what is known as the critical decade of life. On some days, this journey is a smooth sail, you kick back, relax and you enjoy the blessings that come with being “young and free”. I admit though that clarity on life seems far-fetched on some days and you pay a hefty price for being “young and foolish”. For days on end, I have wondered what God’s will is; for my life and particularly in scenarios that seem to suck the life out of me. In distress, I question “What is your will in all this confusion Lord?” It is hard to comprehend God Himself, which affirms His word that echoes that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). Ask me how I got this far in my life, and I’ll probably be quick to let you know “By the way, I too do not know, it must have been and still is by grace, which is sufficient.” Sometimes I wish I knew what next; but eventually when I get to know, I go ahead to inquire the purpose behind the current circum

TOO MUCH

  Why is it so easy to say I’m fine? Hardly do you ever think about it, Effortlessly, it slides from between your lips. Especially, When all that lies around you is witness to the total opposite. Seasons really never last forever, There are those when the party just won’t stop Then others when silence invades, the kind like pin drop. A silence to kill or a silence to heal, A silence that kills, echoes various unheard voices, Screaming piercingly on the inside... The result... is a temporary brain freeze. Silence that heals fabricates unheard melodies, Calm, gentle that are soothing to the soul. I then wonder and it dawns... this is just too much Or is it?   Do I fear too much? Do I care too much? Do I worry too much? Do I question too much? Do I think too much? Do I foresee too much? Do I trust so much? And if I do, will I hurt, just a little too much? Do I wonder too much? Do I give too much? Do I expect too much? Have I loved too muc